HOW TO GET A CALIFORNIA ID CARD
• local California DMV.
• Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44).
• Proofs of your ID, SSN, birth date, and residency.
• Pay the $29 identification card fee.
For more details on how to get a California ID card, please see below.
Apply for an ID Card in California
You can apply for a California identification card at any age.
The California DMV issues the following identification cards:
• Regular ID card.
• Senior citizen ID card for residents over 62 years old.
To apply for an ID card you must visit a California Department of Motor Vehicles(DMV) office in
• Complete a Driver License or Identification Card Application (Form DL 44). This form is not
available online as it requires your original signature.
• Give your thumbprint.
• Have your picture taken.
If you wish to complete the application form before your visit to the CA DMV, you can call the DMV’s
automated telephone system at (800) 777-0133 to have the form mailed to you.
You will also need:
• Social Security number. If you are ineligible for a SSN but are legally present in the U.S., you can
still apply for a CA ID card.
• Original or certified copy of a document proving your date of birth or legal presence, such as your:
– CA driver’s license.
• An original or certified copy of a document proving your name if you’ve had a name change, such as
– Marriage certificate.
-Name change document showing both your original and new name.
2 documents proving your California residency, which could include:- Home utility bills.
– Title or deed to your residence/property.
-Pay stub from your employer.
A complete list of acceptable documents, visit the CA DMV website.
What if the survival of your loved one depended on an organ transplant?
It’s an uncomfortable thought, but as an organ donor, you could save up to 8 lives and touch
hundreds more. Signing up is simple and FREE.
California ID Card Fees
It will cost you $29 for a:
• Original California ID.
• CA ID card renewal.
• Replacement CA ID card (for a lost or stolen card or a name change).
This ID Card valid for 6 years.
There is no cost:
• For a senior citizen card if you’re 62 years old or older. This card is valid for 10 years.
• Change your address.
• To exchange your driver’s license for a CA ID card if you’re no longer able to drive due to a physical or
mental condition. Contact your local CA DMV office for more information.
Reduced Fee CA ID Card
Meet income requirements from a government or public assistance program, you may be
eligible to receive a CA ID for a reduced fee of $8.
Will need to obtain a Verification for Reduced Fee Identification Card form (Form DL 937)
from the government or from a non-profit agency giving you assistance, and bring the completed
form with you to the CA DMV when you apply for your CA ID card.
Renew Your California ID Card
California ID card is valid for:
• 6 years for a regular ID card.
• 10 years for a senior citizen ID card.
You can renew your CA identification card online, by mail, or in person at a CA DMV office.
Renew in Online
To renew your CA ID card online, you must have:
• A Renewal By Mail Notice from the California DMV.
• SSN on DMV record.
• Valid credit card or bank account for payment.
• Same address and name; you must not be changing any details on your CA ID card.
Visit the California DMV website to renew you CA ID card online